15 May 2007

Paris in the month of May

I am still planning on writing about why I still don't speak Malayalam, but I am back in Paris, so it feels a little less urgent.

The cultural differences are so fresh:

1. The food that I was so looking forward to eating - the cornucopia of mouth - watering cheeses, copious amounts of fresh mache with avocado, croissants, my favorite Thai restaurant.....is tasting a little bland - I add salt (this is a novelty), and unconsciously look for the chili pepper!

2. I am reminded and sincerely stunned by the amount of smoking -esp by women -that goes on here. I think it looks unbelievably tacky (alright, I'll try not to be so judgemental) and realize I have spent 3 months without once being bothered by anyone smoking. What's worse is seeing women light up in the streets as if it's their last cigarette before the executioner-sucking in the nicotine in like a vacuum cleaner inhales dirt. As I write this in a hotel lobby, an elderly woman chain-smokes (when she is not hacking) and carrying on a conversation in a raspily irritating growl. So appealing.

3. And lastly, I am struck by how quiet and empty Paris is. This is partially due to the month- May is notoriously bad for accomplishing anything. There are so many holidays-at least 3 week-ends that many 'font le pont', in other words, they carry one week-end into the next, especially this year when they are all falling on a Thursday. But even as its most crowded, it will never feel as crowded as Cochin, never!

No comments: