24 May 2007

Service with a snarl

It's only taken 9 days to get my Internet connection up and running. Want to know how it can take so long?
Here's how:

1. Do it in the month of May, when every other week-end seems to be a holiday, so that a 48-hour action period stretches into a 4 or 5 day wait.

2. Be obliged to wait for the '48' hour period to expire before calling in to say that indeed, the line is still not working.

3. Wait another 48 hours for the engineer to make a housecall-I make an appointment with Jean-Paul for 15:00. He calls me at 14:00, during a business lunch, wondering where I am. I rush home, not wanting to wait another 48 hours or have to call and listen to France Telecom repeat every 10 seconds that an operator will be with me in less than 2 minutes (this goes on for 5-10 minutes until they disconnect you). He then has the nerve to tell me I am lucky that he didn't have an appointment after me (insinuating that he would not have waited).

4. Be sure you have a Mac, the mystery machine.

5. Spend 3 days once the line is up trying to reach the Mac expert at France Telcom - get either busy signal or message to send an sms to which they will never respond.

Plea to France Telecom-instead of having an operator repeat "
an operator will be with you in less than 2 minutes" with irritating background musack, why not give the solutions for known issues instead? Or better yet, publish the problem and its quick fix on line? After all, isn't that what technology is for?

No comments: